Home Sweet Home

by Silent Scream

Last night i was kinda bored so i wrote this:

The winter night was so cold and brisky that i had on a scarf, two pairs of socks, two pairs of sweat-pants, and a very heavy wind-blocker, and yet i was still shivering violently. I was almost home. It seemed so close, and yet so far away too. The wind caught up to me again and made it hard to walk up the last steep hill before the qiuet old village of Brooksworth. Panting, I manage to get up. I can see the small cottages of my friendly neibors. The windows were all full of golden light shimmering from the inside fireplace. I can almost feel the warmth on my face already. So welcoming with open arms to me that if it weren't for the darned wind, i would run all the way home. A nice cup of cocoa sounds so pleasing to me now. I walked on and on in the darkness except for the village lights off in the distance. Its feels like i've been walking forever, but getting nowhere. My fingers and toes are now numb. I can't feel my nose at all.I finally catch up to the first cottage. As i walk by it i see a warm fireplace with calming sparks spitting up out of it. There is a cozy little rug in front of it with a cat resting against it in peace. I'm almost home. I see a stray black cat runing across a feild of wheat next to the village. I finally reach my doorstep. I gently slide the keys out from under the welcome mat. Sliding the key quietly into the knob and unlocking the door, i'm surely not going to wake up the neibors. I walk into the cozy little cottage that i call home. I feel content now on my decision to stay even after mum thought not to. Home sweet home.

Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:28 am

Okay....well this is a pretty neat little piece here, although before we get too far on this one, I do have to preface it ever so slightly by saying that I do in fact think despite this being on the smaller side of things it could benefit quite a bit from being split into paragraphs, even if its just a couple of them just so it'd be a little easier to follow here.

Moving past that small issue here, I love the direction you do manage to take things here. I think its quite a nice little display here. Its such a simple story with this character having a fittingly simple goal and I love the way you manage to construct it here. Despite there being so few words you still get across quite a lot. I think you've done really well as far as that's concerned so even in such a short span of time you make us feel enough things that by the time you get to that ending there with the person making it to their home, it leaves you with a little something to celebrate. I think its wonderful that you can create that in such a short space and I think this piece is quite powerful in being able to do that.

Mira wrote a review...

Hi! I Saphire and I'm here to do a review! I'm a little new to the site, so I'll do my best.

There's not much I can spot that is wrong that angels-symphony didn't get, other than a few uncapitalized 'i's'. Otherwise... I'm not really sure what the story is exactly going for and it's a bit confusing. It probably would have a bit better if you'd added some more to it.

Still, overall, good job! Keep at it and I look forward to reading other works from you.

Saph

Angels-Symphony wrote a review...

Silent Scream wrote:Last night i was kinda bored so i wrote this:

Hey Silver ^^ Shina here. It looks to me like you're a new member and no one has reviewed this yet, so that will be me ;)

Um, first up, don't bold your whole piece. It's too distracting and you only bold important parts or the title, but never the whole thing. It makes the piece look less professional, which is not allowed on YWS. And let's look at your first sentence. What does "so cold" mean? Looks to me like you're telling rather than showing, so you're breaking an important rule. Your first sentence is so long and full packed of adjectives. Too much telling, so it's boring. Don't tell the reader it's cold, describe the atmosphere. Let's see what else I can pick out. You spelled "quiet" wrong. Fireplaces do not shimmer, it's logic. Capitalize "I've". You spelled "neighbors" wrong.

Overall, I'm not sure what's going on here, but I did not want to stick around that out. I'm sorry I have to put it so plainly xD I only full review things if they meet certain standards. Use correct conventions and not make your sentences overflow with words and I'd be happy to read. But until then, work on your descriptions. No one wants to here you ramble on and on about how you shiver violently seeing shimmering fireplaces and about how it's so cold and brisk. What do those things mean anyway?

Sorry to sound harsh Silver, but YWS people eat things up xD I think it has potential if you just keep trying! Use YWS to your advantage. When I was new I didn't like other people's harsh reviews, but then I understood they were right actually. Don't take review to heart though!

~Shina

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.